Sunday, April 16, 2006

No good deed goes unpunished

As everyone is well aware, today is Easter. Since my kids are beyond the egg hunt stage, my focus for this day has become food. There was always the food but now it's all I really have to worry with.

Husband was to be off Fri, Sat, and today. However, there was a problem and they called him into work, 4pm to midnight, yesterday and said for him to plan on working Sunday, too. Ok, now I had to get things with the food going so that he could eat before leaving for work.

I went ahead and made the potato salad yesterday so all the flavors would have time to marry. Got up early this morning to do the ham (I like to eat mine warm).

Husband gets up at 12:30, has his cup of tea, and then gets on the computer.

I'm in the kitchen working on the deviled eggs, relish tray, and green beans.

He says that he's going to the neighbors to get some cinder block neighbor no longer needs.

Sounds ok to me because I'm just trying to make sure the food is ready so that he doesn't have to eat and then immediately leave for work.

I'm nearly done when he comes back and by this time it's around 2pm and he should be leaving in an hour and a half for his across town drive.

I feel pretty good for having done a great job getting everything ready with plenty of time for him to relax after eating. Whew!

'Oh', he says. 'I'm not going to have to work today.'

Now, maybe it's just me but that seems to be some important information he's kept to himself! I'm running around, trying to make sure that I get everything done so that he can be included in the Easter dinner, and he can't bother to think to himself 'Hmm...maybe I should tell wife that plans have changed so that she can relax a bit on her dinner prep.'

I'm not totally pissed but I am disappointed that, once again, he's not given a thought to anyone besides himself.

I decide to go ahead and put everything on the table and told everyone that since it's done, we can either eat it now or later if they would rather wait. I'm ready to eat since I had forgone lunch in order to eat an early dinner with him. #2 had been sitting at the table waiting for the all clear to dive in and husband looks at the food and says, 'I'm going back across the street to get the rest of the blocks.'

I thought we were going to have a family dinner together! What the hell was I thinking???

He had no comment on how the food looked or smelled, no comment on a good job well done, no indication that he even cares to eat with the family.

Well, happy freakin' Easter to you, too, asshole!

It's been 2 hours since he left. Should I go ahead and put the food in the fridge?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home