Tuesday, January 09, 2007

There's no place like home....there's no place like home....

Something screwy is going on with Blogger today so hopefully this will post!

Yesterday was #1's court date for her speeding ticket. She calls me on the way to ask a legal question. Like I would know the answer? I've talked to the girl 4 or 5 times in the last 4 days and yet she waits to ask about going to court while going to court? Kids!

Her question was - since she got her ticket in Dec but her court date wasn't until Jan and a new law went into effect on Jan 1st that says going 30 or more MPH over the posted speed limit is an automatic lisence suspension and 30 days in the hoosgow, will that apply to her? Ok, how the hell am I supposed to know??? I'm not a lawyer and I don't even play one on TV for chissake!

However, I am a mom and I'm supposed to have an answer for every question whether or not I'm totally blowing smoke. So I tell her, that logically, no, that wouldn't apply to her since you can't receive a punishment for something that you did before that punishment went into effect. HOWEVER! This is the law we're talking about and for the most part the law rarely is clear or fair. Then told her that I would say a prayer and keep my fingers crossed until I heard back from her. Goodbye.

She calls back in about 2 hours. Everything's cool. No suspension. No pokey. She did, however, get the previlege of paying a $250 fine. The judge wouldn't let her contest the ticket. Wouldn't let her make any arguement on her own behalf because the fucking ticketing officer wasn't in court. Say what? You get a court date. You show up ready to defend yourself. The officer's not there even though he gets the same notice from the court. So you have to come back if you want to contest the damn thing? Bunch of bullshit if you ask me!

So anyway, the judge is an ass and then goes on to prove that he's an ass. According to #1, there is a 'language' there akin to gutter talk - a slang mish-mash that only those who speak it can understand. This is how the piece of shit judge is talking and she can't understand anything he just told her! She, politely, asks him to repeat it to her b/c she couldn't quite make it out. He then proceeds to say it all over again but this time it goes something like this ----

Let.....me.....say.....it.....for.....you.....again......really.....slow......

She's standing there seething with embarrassament and rightous indignation and who the hell can blame her???

She then tells me, "I'm tired of this fucking place and I'm ready to move back to the United States!" Yeah, Hawaii might be part of the 50 states but it ain't quite like home. I totally got what she was saying.

I get another call from her about 3 hours later and she's already taken inventory of her stuff, posted ALL of it for sale, made arrangements to move in with a friend who won't charge her rent and who has a parking space (most important), and practiced how she was going to tell her commander she was leaving.

She won't be leaving until March but I'm glad that it'll be sooner than later. October was the other plan. If it goes like most other plans she makes, though - it's subject to change at a moment's notice.

I'll keep you posted.

BTW - I couldn't get the spellcheck to work so if you're distracted by any mistakes - fuck you and get the hell over it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home