Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The new Christmas. Same as the old Christmas?

Our Christmas this year was an experiment in streamlining; an attempt to make it easier and more gratifying for all involved. Mainly, getting all involved. It was pretty sweet for some but as is always the case, others prefer sour to sweet.

Here's the premise - we draw names and allot $50 per person. Yes, even though #2 & #3 are working and have their own money, we gave them their $50 Christmas gift money. Figured that was one fight we didn't want to have to fight so that's the way we worked it out.

Everyone put their list of wants onto a master list which was posted on the door for all to see. Now, remember, the limit is $50!

The lists were as follows -

#3 - wireless router, Dragonball Z PSP game; PSP starter kit; (added too late to the list) Megabomber Man PSP (#3 had bought herself a PSP with her earnings a few weeks before Christmas thus ensuring that she wouldn't be asked to spend her own money on the family)

#2 - shirts with the notation 'Not $50 worth!'; memory card for her digital camera

Husband - 1 gig flash drive; 1 gig MP-3 player

Me - house shoes (size M - dark color); spatulas from B, B, & B (silicone with comfortable, cushy handle)


I (unfortunately) drew #3. I got her the DBZ game which left me with $7 left to spend. I went over-budget in order to get her a few other things like a shirt, pajama pants, a 2007 calendar, and candy. That was not enough. She fully expected to get EVERYTHING on her list - not just $50 worth of stuff. She was not happy. She complained endlessly. She posted on her My Space that she was robbed!

#3 drew #2 and got her a very nice tripod for the digital camera she got for her birthday back in November. Not on her list but it was well received by #2. ( I knew that #3 had blown her wad on a single gift so I supplemented with a pair of pajama pants and a 2007 calendar and candy)

Husband received from #2 a 1 gig flash drive and a new leather belt - which he badly needed. I got him a bottle of Yukon Jack for his stocking.

I received from husband (who had drawn my name like I thought) a pair of black Isotoner boots and 2 spatulas. I also received 2 items that were not only not on my list but I had no idea that I even wanted/needed them! One was a 3-pack of small LED lights that could be placed inside cabinets. The other was a USB hub to which up to 7 devices could be connected. So, out of the allotted $50, he spent - maybe - $20 on me. The rest (as I had feared) would be spent on something HE wanted. #2 spent some of her own money to get me a pair of VERY soft booties and a pair of 'organic' booties. She bought the 'organic' booties because she thought it was funny that they were 'organic'. We did get a good laugh out of that but I must admit that they are comfy. :)

#3 spent none of her own money on anyone in the family. I didn't expect her to so, therefore, I wasn't surprised when she didn't. Disappointed, yes, but not surprised.

I don't know what we'll do next year. In the mean time, I'll be reviewing this year's experiment to decide whether or not it was a success or a failure.

There's more but I'm running out of alone time to post so I'll follow-up later with a part 2 - of sorts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home