Friday, December 29, 2006

Christmas part deux

Sometime around 6:30 Christmas evening, I hear car doors closing in the driveway. My first thought was that #2's friends were making a surprise visit. They do that a lot.

Well, it wasn't them.

I looked out the front door and it was STFBN and her husband. Carrying a large gift bag. No phone call. No email. No warning or announcement that they'd be coming by and expecting to exchange gifts. I find that not only rude but trashy in the extreme.

Yes, we've been spending Christmas together for about 6 years now but always with a mutual plan. Coordinating times and who's in charge of what snacks. Given that I haven't spoken to her, much less seen her face to face at any time during the past 6 months (except the accidental meeting in the mall parking lot which lasted an entire 5 minutes), I was totally taken aback by her lack of thoughtfulness and consideration.

Not to mention putting me on the spot by being unprepared causing me to stand there grasping for a way to express myself.

I thanked them for the gifts. The girls thanked them for the gifts. I said that I was sorry that I had nothing for them as I had no idea that we would be exchanging gifts this year. To this they said, "We weren't expecting anything. We just love ya'll."

I'm sorry if I'm making too much of this but is this supposed to mean (in her eyes) that SHE's the better person? Despite the fact that she's had nothing to do with me these past 6 months, all is forgiven and the slate wiped clean? Wouldn't that be for ME to decide since I'm the victim all round in this scenario? Was I to have expected things to be as they were in the past and to give no credence whatsoever to her ignorance and narcissism these past few months?

I'm just not able to play that game! You shit on me and I'm not supposed to mind the smell? I can't do it.

Are they now expecting New Year's to go as it has in the past as well? I really don't think that I'm able to host them here for hours of game-play, snacks, drinks, watching the ball drop, the associated toast with bubbly, and then a fireworks display. If they ARE expecting this, then can we possibly enjoy our evening, guilt free, while doing all these things without them knowing they'll be watching our festivities from their front porch?

I don't know.

I want to enjoy the New Year but I don't want to be mean and guilt-ridden because of it!

Just what the hell is wrong with these people? Or is the question - what the hell is wrong with ME????

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home