Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The politcs of fried chicken

I wasn't really going to bother to say anything about last night's election results - my stomach gets queasy just thinking about them - but then something very surreal happened at the grocery store today.

Wanting fried chicken and not wanting to fry it myself, I went to Publix today instead of Kroger. Kroger's deli really has substandard fare in my opinion. So, I cruised by the deli and asked when the next batch of fresh was due out - about 15 mins I was told. Great, I'll take an 8 piece; be back in 15 or so.

Did my shopping in a leisurely fashion, found what I wanted, and rounded back by the deli. The fellow that I spoke to earlier spotted me and smiled and motioned that it was on its way! While standing there, another lady came up to stand next to me. We had a conversation about it being 'chicken Wednesday' since there were at least 2 other women standing there as well. No one had yet to ask what she wanted b/c they were all busy filling pre-orders, like mine.

Then this big woman of African decent comes up, cuts in front of us both, gets the attention of the little fellow helping me, and proceeds to put in her order for a certain amount of a particular flavor of chicken wings.

Well, at this point the lady I was having the conversation with leans in and whispers in my ear, "I guess we'd be considered racists and wrong if we said anything, wouldn't we?" To which I responded by putting my index finger over my mouth, nodded, and motioned to let her know that the rude fat-ass was standing directly behind me and totally in my space.

It's not that I didn't agree or that I wasn't screaming on the inside to say something to the bitch but I sure as hell didn't want to start a kerfuffle with the chicken hand-off only seconds away!

Then, the whispering lady leans in again. This time she says, "And now the House and the Senate are FILLED with Democrats!" I knew what she was getting at but I didn't want my stomach roiling with the thought so I just told her to have a good day and I got myself and my chicken the hell out of there.

I sure hope that poor frustrated old lady didn't get into a smack-down before she got HER chicken.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home