Saturday, July 08, 2006

What a drag it is getting old.....

It's been 2 weeks of 'mother's little helper' for me, folks. My decades of relative good health have come to a screeching halt. I now rely on drugs and favors from friends and family.

I had come to terms with rv ownership being foisted upon me and decided that I should just give in and enjoy. In order to do that, though, I would have to do little projects to make the thing my own. I would clean, rearrange the cabinets, put down new rugs, and change the bedding to something more in line with my taste.

Things were going well and I was actually getting giddy at the thought of taking the thing out on the road as it now felt more like mine and not 'theirs'.

Changing the linens, I bent over to gather them into a ball. I stood up with them in my arms, ready to transfer to the laundry area for cleaning. That's when it happened. Something in my back 'grabbed'. The pain of it left me unable to catch my breath for a few minutes and with a pain that radiated from the bottom left side of my spine all the way down my leg.

I had strained my back or, worse, herniated a disc. Great. The rv had gotten revenge on me for not wanting it and calling it bad names. Karma had come around as it always does.

Trip to the doc - x-rays taken (revealing the presence of gallstones)- prescriptions filled - 2 weeks later and I still cannot stand upright and walk at the same time. The pain isn't any better. I'm stuck in the house, with the kids, having to ask for food and ice. I'm a miserable wretch; sleeping off the meds and using my office chair as a walker to get back and forth to the bathroom.

4 to 6 weeks to recover and for normalcy to return is what I've been told. Be patient and take it easy is the mantra everyone is chanting these days. My plants are dying because no one is watering them and husband's willingness to comfort and offer me sympathy has past with the coming of week # 2.

I guess I'm being selfish for having it drag on this long.

What a bitch I am for needing his assistance.

Never mind. He's already gone back to ignoring me and spending quality, one on one, time with his herbage in the solitude of the rv.

Who didn't know that would happen?

Prick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home