Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Deal or No Deal?

Husband's parents are giving him a 30' RV. They're down-sizing. It's a very nice RV. It's also the only thing they've ever given the man in his entire life except for an extremely severe case of low self-esteem. You can imagine his excitement. Me? Not so much.

I think RVs are great for people who will use them and, more importantly, have a place to park them. I guess we'll use it but we have nowhere to park it. Our driveway is already filled with a pickup truck that doesn't run, a van that is used once a year by husband (explained further in the next paragraph), his car, and my mini-van. I'm pretty sure that puts us at capacity. Oh, and it will cost about $600 a year just to own it - tag, taxes, and insurance.

As a family, we take one big vacation per year. Actually, sometimes we skip a year because of work/school schedule conflicts and/or apathy. Husband also takes his own vacation to go camping for 4 days under the guise of spelunking. What he really does is meet with others who sit around, drink beer, and set shit on fire. Well, TAG sets the shit on fire - he just takes pictures of it to show how awesome it was, dude!

Yeah, I don't get it either.

The grand total for both these holidays is about $800 - give or take a souvenir. Some people probably spend that a week on eating out, seeing shows, buying drugs....but for us it's a pretty big amount. However, we can have a really great time, stay in very nice rentals, and do all sorts of fun, 'vacationy' stuff on that meager budget. With the $600 per year, the fuel (it's a diesel), the maintenance, the food, the fun 'vacationy' stuff, and momentos, our vacations will now cost more.

This issue is really bugging me but I don't know if it's because I'm thinking logically about the costs or illogically because his parents just irritate the crap out of me.

I would like to think the ratio is around 50/50 but it's more like 20/80.

Yeah, the fucktards REALLY irritate me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home